Nhắc đến các chủ đề trong IELTS Speaking, chúng ta chắc hẳn sẽ không bỏ qua chủ đề “Education” (Giáo dục). Cùng học bộ từ vựng IELTS chủ đề Education để hoàn thành bài thi IELTS thật tốt nhé!
I. Từ vựng IELTS chủ đề Education
• to attend classes: to go to classes: tham gia lớp học
• bachelors degree: an undergraduate course which usually lasts 3-4 years: Bằng cử nhân
• boarding school: a school where pupils live during term time: Trường nội trú
• distance learning: a way of studying where tuition is carried out over the Internet or by post: Học từ xa (khóa học có các bài giảng trên Internet)
• face-to-face classes: as opposed to distance learning the traditional way of studying in a classroom with colleagues and a teacher: Lớp học thực tế có giáo viên và học viên
• to fall behind with your studies: to progress less quickly than others: tiến bộ chậm hơn các học viên khác
• to give feedback: to offer guidance on a student’s work: Đưa ra nhận xét, phản hồi
• a graduation ceremony: an event where a successful student receives his or her academic degree: Lễ tốt nghiệp
• higher education: education, usually in a college or university, that is followed after high school or secondary school: Bậc học cao hơn
• an intensive course: a course that offers lots of training in order to reach a goal in as short a time as possible: Khóa học chuyên sâu
• to keep up with your studies: to not fall behind: Theo kịp với bài học
• to learn something by heart: to memorize it: Học thuộc lòng
• a mature student: a student who is older than average and who has usually returned to education after a period at work: Học viên là người đã đi làm
• masters degree: a period of study which often follows the completion of a bachelors degree or is undertaken by someone regarded as capable of a higher-level academic course: Bằng thạc sĩ
• to meet a deadline: to finish a job or task in the time allowed or agreed: Hoàn thành công viẹc đúng hạn
• to play truant: to stay away from classes without permission: Trốn học
• private language school: an independent school run as a business concern: Trường học tư
• public schools: exclusive independent schools in the UK: Trường học công
• a single-sex school: a school where only boys or girls attend (as opposed to a mixed-sex school): Trường nữ sinh/ nam sinh
• to sit an exam: to take an exam: Tham gia vào kỳ thi
• state school: a school paid for by public funds and available to the general public: Trường học công
• subject specialist: a teacher who has a great deal of knowledge about the subject they teach: Chuyên viên trong một môn học
• to take a year out: to spend a year working or travelling before starting university: Dành một năm để đi du lịch hoặc đi làm trước khi học đại học
• tuition fees: the money paid for a course of study: Học phí
• to work your way through university: to have a paid job whilst studying to support yourself financially: Đi làm để lấy tiền trang trải học phí
II. Từ vựng Topic Education mô phỏng trong IELTS Speaking
Part 1-style questions
Examiner: Are you studying English at a school?
Michel: Yes … I’m taking an intensive course at a local private language school … I attend classes three times a week …
Examiner: Would you say you are a good student?
Susan: I’m OK I think … I’m pretty good at meeting deadlines and I’m keeping up with my studies … plus I find it quite easy to learn things by heart which is useful when learning a language …
Examiner: When you were younger did you enjoy your time at school?
Theo: Yes … I liked school … it was an ordinary state school … nothing special … a single-sex school … which I’m not sure I liked … but the teachers were great … I had lots of friends and I never played truant like some pupils there …
Part 2-style task
Describe a time during your education that you really enjoyed. You should say:
• when this period was
• where you were
• what you were studying at the time
and say why you were so happy.
Caroline: I’d like to tell you about my time at university … I was a mature student … I didn’t go to university until I was 25 … and it was my first time away from my parents so it was very exciting … I was doing a Bachelors Degree and it was a bit of a challenge … some people take a year out but I’d been away from education for 8 years … plus I had to work my way through uni so I was very busy … and sitting exams at the end of each year was a new experience for me as well but I really enjoyed higher education learning about a subject I loved … history … and the social life was great as well … I don’t think I’ve ever had so many friends … I had my graduation ceremony last year in the local cathedral and I know my parents were really proud … so yes … that was a really happy time … I’m thinking of doing a Masters Degree soon … though that might be through distance learning as I have a full-time job now …
Part 3-style questions
Examiner: What qualities do you think a good teacher has?
Anna: They should be patient … they should be subject specialists and be able to explain the subject clearly … they should give feedback quickly … for example not hang on to essay for ages like some of my teachers …
Examiner: What are the advantages of studying on a distance learning course?
Florrie: It’s a more flexible way of studying especially if you have a job … tuition fees are usually cheaper … but you have to be very motivated … and I would imagine more people fall behind with their studies compared to face-to-face classes …
Examiner: Do all children get equal opportunities in education?
Julie: In my country I think it is quite equal but in the UK I’ve heard that most people who go to the top universities have studied at public schools … you have to be very rich to study in a school like that … they’re usually boarding schools as well so the fees are enormous …